Sometimes, even when you live the low carb lifestyle, you still just really feel the need for a nice pot of mac and cheese. Growing up, fixing a box of macaroni and cheese, with the cheese powder and a little milk and margarine were a staple. Now, of course we know better!! There wasn’t much in that box that was good for you (ok, there was NOTHING in that box that was good for you).
So here is my take on cheesy cauliflower that, in my humble opinion, is MUCH tastier and healthier than the original. Make a big batch, test it out on your kids, and let me know!
Enjoy with a grassfed burger and salad
Ready to put in the oven!
Cauliflower "Mac and Cheese"
- 1 Bag Cauliflower (frozen or fresh) Chop into small florets
- 1 cup Heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cubed cream cheese
- 1 tbsp grassfed butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese of your choice I sometimes use a combination of cheese ends for this dish
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt
- 5 slices bacon-chopped small
- 1/2 cup cheese-to sprinkle on top!
- PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 400 degreesSteam the cauliflower per package directions if frozen, or for about 5 minutes in a small amount of water if you are using fresh cauliflower. Drain the cauliflower in a colander, and let it sit for a bit to drain out as much of the water as possible. You can also place it on a paper towel for a bit.In an oven and stovetop safe pan, melt the butter, add the cream, cream cheese, garlic and spices and stir until the cream cheese melts and it becomes smooth. Stir in the rest of the cheese slowly over low heat. Pour the cauliflower over the cheese sauce and fold together gently. Add the bacon and remaining cheese to the top. Place in the preheated over for 15-20 minutes or until the top is browned. You may want to place it under the broiler for a minute or two to "bubble up" the cheese on top.Remove from oven and let it sit for a few minutes while you prepare the plates.Enjoy!!